Sunday, April 14, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't


Deluxe edition cover
In no other music genre, credibility matters in rap music just as much if not more than the ability to make good music.  Much of this attitude comes hip-hop culture's obsession with authenticity or "being real."  It could also stem from the media's obsession of exposing public figures of their true characters ever since the Watergate scandal in the 1970s. Reporters realized that finding dirt on famous people is big business, and the media has never been the same since.  As quick as they are to put stars on a pedestal, the media is quick to take them down. Naturally, hip hop culture reflects this mentality, for many hip hop enthusiasts criticized anyone who did not live the life that they talk about in their music.  Neither hardcore gangsta rappers nor politically driven emcees are safe.  If you start gaining notoriety, then expect the dirt to come out.  Expect any action, quote, or opinion to be overly scrutinized. The microscope is on you, so you better have yourself prepared for the storm.

Hip-hop is strange, though.  Despite this attitude, some rappers escape the mega criticism others face.  The media will attack them.  Other emcees will spend verse upon verse disparaging their reputation, usually to gain more notoriety themselves.  However, these rappers march on to super stardom.  The best example is Ice Cube.  As a founding member of NWA and as a solo artist, he was one of the icons of gangsta rap in the early 1990s.  Funny thing is he had no criminal record before he started rapping.  In fact, he completed a year of college in Arizona before joining NWA.  His family was middle class, and he lived a life far from the dope stories that he told. It did not matter that much because the music was dope and also had some substance.  He also had some respect for the culture, which is something Vanilla Ice lacked, leading to his tragic yet hilarious downfall.  Ice Cube's music began to reflect his real life going into the 2000s, but surprisingly, fans clamored for him to return to his gangsta form.  He eventually did with 2006's Laugh Now, Cry Later, and it received positive reviews and some commercial success.  As much as a rapper deals with the critics about his or her background, the bottom line is that if the music is banging, then the public does not care about their lives outside of it.

William Leonard Robert II aka Rick Ross aka Rozay seems to be next survivor of the credibility crisis.  I remember hearing about Rick Ross as far back as 2002, but he really arrived in 2006 with the hit song “Hustlin’” off of his debut album Port of Miami.  I was not a big fan of the song when it came out.  In fact, I would often make fun of his line “whip it really hard, whip it, whip it real hard” when speaking about it.  I also was not happy that he named himself after Freeway Ricky Ross, the notorious drug dealer from California whose drug trafficking in the 1980s had a lasting, malicious impact on the inner city. Furthermore, after starting a feud with fellow rapper 50 Cent, it came out that Rick Ross worked as a correctional officer in his life before rap, which somewhat conflicts with his drug dealer, mafia boss persona.  Perhaps if he had owned up to it initially, it would not have been a big deal, but he denied it until 50 Cent released pictures of Rick Ross in his correctional officer uniform over the internet.  With such a hit, especially from such a polarizing figure as 50 Cent, many wondered if Rick Ross would fade away as another fraud of the rap industry.

However, Rick Ross continued to gather a following and eventually established his own imprint Maybach Music Group, which has other popular acts such as Meek Mill (meh…) and Wale (good, but inconsistent, but getting better).  Even I could not deny his impact after hearing him on Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  His performance on that album as well as other songs finally raised my eyebrow, so I decided to give his fifth album God Forgives, I Don’t a listen.  It seems that he is doing something right with his music, and it is time for me to suck it up and jump on the bandwagon.

I should make it clear that this is my first foray into Rick Ross’s catalogue, so I cannot fairly weigh this album against his previous work.  Nevertheless, this album feels like an artist finally delivering an album that longtime fans knew that he could, raising the bar for Rick Ross as well as his contemporaries.  The one aspect that stands out about this album is the production.  Beat selection is an underappreciated skill in rap music, even the most legendary emcees struggle with it (Nas. Mos Def, Common, I’m looking in your direction).  Rick Ross pulled together some of the best production of the year with this album from Pharell Williams, Cool and Dre, Cardiak, Reefa, Rico Love, and others.  Tracks such as the Cardiak-produced “Amsterdam” and the Jake One-produced “3 Kings” would be good songs with anyone rapping over it.  On top of that, the J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League-produced “Maybach Music IV” is a stellar song WITHOUT ANYONE rapping over it.  Of all the producers, though, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League definitely deserves the gold star, as they produced 3 stellar tracks on the album as well as the bonus track “Triple Beam Dreams” featuring Nas. 

Of all the J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League tracks, the track that really raised my eyebrow was “Sixteen” featuring Andre 3000.  The smooth-out, saxophone supported backdrop expresses why the League is one of the best producers in the game right now.  It is a shame that this not was a single because the beat alone demands replay and a plethora of freestyles to be done by other artists over it.  This 8-minute mammoth of lyrical exercise also features Rick Ross’ best verse of the album, talking about the struggle of limiting your artistic expression to only sixteen bars:

It's funny how things change, funny how time fly
More than my feet travel, the more that I feel fly
More that I make now, the more that the chicks smile
She called me a local nigga, I opened a Swiss account
Eisenhower status, Etta James on the dash
Smooth as John Coltrane cruisin in the Cadillac
Uhh~! Seville - feel my life on the real
We the Last Poets so this is a world premiere
Rollin like Mick Jagger, the women just gettin badder
All I see is the money, +Cream+, Eric Clapton
And all I wanted was one, sixteen ain't enough
Talkin that fast money, fifteen every month
When your people labeled poor, that motivated me more
Everything I ever wore was once worn before
Roll with the punches now it's box office numbers
Dressed like Sammy Davis, steamin my marijuana
Double MG's, double M fees
We in every hood, nigga government cheese
Yacht to Yachtmasters, Ol' Dirty Bastard
Floor seat for the Heat, paper that I'm stackin
Better put away a penny for the rainy days
Pick and roll, give and go, fuck a fadeaway
Living like Scottie Pippen, dribble riddles for vittles
Started off with a scribble, now I'm flowin a river

Ross came with for this one, but he had to when he is sharing auditory space with 3 Stacks.  I find it interesting that this was the only song on the album without his “M-M-M-M-M-Maybach Music” tag, which I think he did out of respect for Dre.  Problem is, when you have Andre on your song, just expect to be outshined:

It feel good when the hood pseudo-celebrate
Hence, why every time we dine we eat until our belly ache
Then go grab the finest wine and drink it like we know which grape
and which region it came from, as if we can name 'em
Hint hint, it ain't, um, Welch's
Hell just fell three thousand more degrees cooler
Ya'll can't measure my worth
but when you try, you'll need a ruler made by all the Greek gods
Because the odds have always been stacked against me
When back's against the, wall
I feel right at home, y'all sitting right at home
All Kelly green with envy while I'm jelly beans descending
into the palm of a child, looks up at moma and smile
with such a devilish grin, like "Where the hell have you been?"
She yelling that selling's a sin, well so is telling young men
that selling is a sin, if you don't offer new ways to win
A dolphin gon' shake his fin, regardless if he gets in
or out of water, most important thing for him is to swim
And Flipper didn't hold his nose, so why shall I hold my tongue?
I miss the days of old when one could hold his gal on his arm
And I set off these alarms, when camera's snap snap snap snap
Return fire, pa-pa-pa, pa, pa-pa, pap-pap-pap
They'll learn why, mere privacy, so essential
They won't make no laws, I break their laws til they see out our window
I take the fall to make them all treat humankind mo' gentle
Forsake them all, I hate them all, don't like' em, don't pretend to

Sometimes it seems unfair for Dre to rhyme with some folk.  I got to give them props for trying.  Nevertheless, the album as a whole has instilled in me more confidence in Rick Ross to make a quality product. 

The only complaint I have is including the track “Hold Me Back” right before ”911” when both tracks sound pretty much the same.  First, it retreats back to Rick Ross’ hardcore gritty style that is okay at times, but putting the songs together after the near-superb offering that preceding takes the whole album down.  Surprisingly, it is not until “Touch’n You” featuring Usher where the album seems to get back on track, and the fact that I can ignore my utter hatred for Usher to hear this track just shows how great of an achievement this album is.  Rick Ross has established his place in rap has proved a lot of haters wrong.  He cannot escape his past no matter what he does, but talent has nothing to do with the life that you live.  Either you have or you don’t, and Rick Ross is showing that he does.  I am curious about his future offerings, but God Forgives, I Don’t will do for now.